5 Effective Nursery Teaching Practices for a Better Classroom Management
It’s absolutely not an effortless responsibility to educate kids who are just searching out the basics of socializing and how to adjust in classroom surroundings. As a nursery school teacher, what can you do to help out these kids to keep things running easily?
We will try to figure it out!
As you will be dealing with young kids who don’t have any idea regarding the learning practice, you’ll have to mentally prepare for the coming challenges. You will face some good days where everything seems to be perfect, at the same time there will be days when you will face lots of challenges. Just like children, we also learn from our experiences, isn’t it? Be prepared for children who are going to be your readers, children who have never seen letters and everything related to education. Nursery teaching is a very concentrated and demanding work that often involves long hours of designing the lesson plans or writing student evaluations and so on.
Let’s see what are the skills required in handling the young learners:
- Strong communication skills as you will be communicating with different kinds of children
- Undoubtedly, patience
- Strong sense of creativity and adaptability
- You will have to be organized
- Preschoolers need to be energized always
- Get experience, if possible
There are various tips for nursery teachers to manage a classroom effectively, here are the important ones:
- Set up a standard schedule and agenda. Try to read every day and limit the transitions. With a proper agenda, many discipline-related circumstances can be overcome before they occur by groping your agenda. It’s essential to have a reliable schedule that needs to be flexible. This is necessary as when you will see that your students aren’t paying attention, you can change plans. Most of the time, a preschool classroom is quite chaotic, and with a correct plan, your students might be able to communicate with you, they will share with you why they are disturbed. By understanding these areas, you will be able to solve the issue.
- Keep your students moving all day long! Try to plan the lessons/activities that don’t take that much of time. Implement the new teaching-learning things that are fresh and innovative. Young learners will pick up on your eagerness. You can also ask different kinds of open-ended questions. Along with that, you need to respect children’s initiatives, feelings and thoughts. Try to have fun!
- Keen inspection or observation is perhaps the best tool of a teacher. By taking a keen and minute look at what your students are doing, you can build some positive relationships. You will also learn what your learners are capable of doing, how they use their time, how they intermingle with others, and most importantly, what they are learning. The better observer you will become, the more accomplished you will become as a teacher.
- Always try to experiment with your teaching style as young children explore it. Try out different kinds of new ideas into your activities planning and you will see the interest areas will transform. When it comes to implement classroom materials, carefully choose the materials. Always keep in mind that these materials should always be creatively working and useable, also these should be related to your schoolwork to help children reach goals and objectives.
- Incorporate integrated learning environments. Integrated learning environments have the individual learning centres or learning stations which usually allow children to explore safely and play securely. It’s significant to maintain learning centres in a trouble-free way so that the children do not face issues. Malson says, “Focus on creating a space that is conducive to a child’s visual, auditory and emotional development”. He also says “Appealing to the toddler’s sense of curiosity is a great approach”.
Along with these, you also need to discover your own classroom management techniques and traits. By implementing these techniques along with the right qualifications gained from online certificate in nursery teacher training course, you will be able to manage your classroom easily, like a pro. There are so many excellent backgrounds for how to loom preschool classroom management. Cole says, “When you hit a situation you can’t handle, ask questions of experienced teachers, and take whatever works for you”.
Don’t worry if something doesn’t work out as planned. Reflect and learn from your experiences.